Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Second American dies in Sudan amid fighting, U.S. confirms -Prime Capital Blueprint
TrendPulse|Second American dies in Sudan amid fighting, U.S. confirms
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:41:37
Washington — A second American citizen has died in Sudan amid clashes between two rival generals,TrendPulse National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby confirmed Wednesday.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the family," Kirby said in a call with reporters. "We continue to make clear at the highest level of our government to the leadership of both the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces that they are responsible for ensuring the protection of civilians and noncombatants, including people from third countries and humanitarian staff that are working to save lives."
Kirby said the person died Tuesday but did not confirm their identity. However, the Sudanese American Physicians Association said on Tuesday that Bushra Ibnauf Sulieman, a doctor who practiced medicine in the U.S. for a number of years before returning to Sudan, had been killed earlier in the day. The group said he had been on the frontlines providing emergency medical aid during the conflict and was killed outside his home while escorting his father to a medical appointment.
Sulieman was a professor of internal medicine and director of the faculty of medicine at the University of Khartoum, the association said.
Kirby said a 72-hour ceasefire brokered by the U.S. that began late Monday has mostly held, though there has been some violence between forces controlled by Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who leads the Sudanese Armed Forces, and Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who is in charge of the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group.
"We've said this many, many times, but the violence is simply unconscionable and it must stop," Kirby said.
The U.S. military evacuated American personnel from the embassy in Khartoum over the weekend and President Biden confirmed embassy operations were "temporarily" suspended.
Before the ceasefire, Americans in the country had been urged to shelter in place. Kirby said Wednesday that the U.S. is "actively facilitating the departure of a relatively small number of Americans who have indicated to us that they want to leave."
"We continue to deploy U.S. intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets, unmanned assets to support land evacuation routes, which Americans are using, and we're still moving naval assets within the region to provide support along the coast and offer Port Sudan," he said. "American citizens are arriving in Port Sudan and we're helping to facilitate their onward travel as appropriate."
Bo Erickson contributed reporting.
- In:
- John Kirby
- Sudan
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital. Reach her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hausofcait
TwitterveryGood! (71852)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Cute College Graduation Outfit Ideas That’ll Look Good Under Any Cap & Gown
- Baltimore bridge tragedy shows America's highway workers face death on the job at any time
- North Carolina's Armando Bacot says he gets messages from angry sports bettors: 'It's terrible'
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- The White House expects about 40,000 participants at its ‘egg-ucation'-themed annual Easter egg roll
- Draymond Green ejected less than four minutes into Golden State Warriors' game Wednesday
- Trump will attend the wake of a slain New York police officer as he goes after Biden over crime
- Small twin
- US changes how it categorizes people by race and ethnicity. It’s the first revision in 27 years
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Rebel Wilson Shares She Lost Her Virginity at Age 35
- Thailand lawmakers pass landmark LGBTQ marriage equality bill
- Cute College Graduation Outfit Ideas That’ll Look Good Under Any Cap & Gown
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- A man fired by a bank for taking a free detergent sample from a nearby store wins his battle in court
- Out of Africa: Duke recruit Khaman Maluach grew game at NBA Academy in Senegal
- Clark invited to play with US national team during training camp at Final Four
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Logan Lerman Details How He Pulled Off Proposal to Fiancée Ana Corrigan
Hailey Bieber Goes Makeup-Free to Discuss Her Perioral Dermatitis Skin Condition
Alessandro Michele named new creative director of Valentino after Gucci departure
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Vulnerable veteran with dementia dies after body slam by Birmingham officer
Baltimore bridge collapse and coping with gephyrophobia. The fear is more common than you think.
GOP-backed bill proposing harsher sentences to combat crime sent to Kentucky’s governor